FPE Welcomes Turning Jewels Into Water
FPE is thrilled to announce the addition of Turning Jewels Into Water to its expanding artist roster!
Turning Jewels into Water, a beat-and-ritual-based project from percussionist Ravish Momin (founder of Tarana) in collaboration with Haitian experimental electronic artist Val Jeanty (Val-Inc), began with a jam session at Pioneer Works in Brooklyn, NY, while Momin was artist-in-residence there in September of 2017.
Their collaboration, rooted in improvisation shaped by ritual, evokes the esoteric realms of the creative subconscious. Drawing from the voodoo religion, Val recreates the ancient rhythm and pulse of Haiti through digital beats, while Momin, whose own musical background is rooted Indian, North African and Middle-eastern traditions, has developed an original blend of electro-acoustic beats, drawing together the improvisational traditions in Jazz and Indian music.
Together they explore the capabilities of new technologies to create a seamless blend of multiple electronic and acoustic instruments.
///Turning Jewels Into Water Timeline///
- September 2017 Pioneer Works residency; Turning Jewels Into Water is born
- February 2018 The New School workshop and performance; VIDEO HERE
- Spring 2018 Select US and EU dates (see below)
- May 13, 2018 Bang on a Can Marathon, NYC
- June 2018 FPE releases debut EP, Which Way Is Home?, recorded in residency at Pioneer Works, on vinyl and digital
///April-May Europe dates///
- 4/19 ZEZ Festival, KSET, Zagreb, Croatia
- 4/20 Caffe Tunel, Rijeka, Croatia
- 4/23 AKC Metelkova Mesto, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 4/24 Fuga, Bratislava, Slovakia
- 4/28 Klappfon Concerts, Basel, Switzerland
- 4/29 Teatro Signorelli, Cortona IT
- 5/2 Cine Detour, Rome, IT (*Live music score to “Destiny” (1921) by Fritz Lang*)
- 5/5 Tarcento Jazz Festival (VII Edizione), Tarcento, IT